Thursday, 3 January 2013

Water, Water Everywhere

Last year was one of the wettest years in the UK ever. That's pretty good news at the start of a century when high quality water is going to become one of the most sought after commodities in the world.

So what do we do with it?

We pour it down the drain.

Literally.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't need drinking quality water to wash in, or to water my garden with, or to use to flush my loo. And yet we all still do. And then our water companies tell us there's a water shortage.

Changing this system is not going to be quick or easy. But in the long term I strongly suspect we can't afford not to. Give us a second, lower-quality grade of water, pipe into our homes and in the long term as consumers we'll save money, and as citizens we'll be far better placed in the global economy.

Because some day one of the countries who don't find planning BBQs quite so precarious is going to do it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment