Having seen this moment on the cards for some time now I'd like to look at some of the areas where HMV failed, and I'm going to take a post on each of the following points:
- Failure to keep their customers hearts
- Being indistinct
- Lack of clarity of vision
- Lack of innovation
- Failure to take advantage of new technology
- Failure to develop their online business
- Not facing up to the changing nature of music distribution
- Not exploiting their key commercial advantage.
This list does not, of course, cover all the reasons behind HMV's demise - the challenge from the likes of Amazon, CDWow and the supermarkets was substantial - but it looks at the areas where a bit more creativity and strategy might have made a difference.